Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wednesday We-view

About a week ago I bought myself an iPod. Don't ask me what kind, because I have no idea- I just know it plays music and books and I can listen to them as I walk to class, or am meandering about. I CAN tell I am glad I made the investment- its so much easier than lugging around a CD player, or a cassette player. So much easier.

So why am I telling you all this? I promise, it does relate to books.

The day I got the iPod working I eagerly went to my library's website. I had been waiting for over a year to try this out. They have a program where you can borrow audio books and put them on your iPod or MP3 player over the internet. I couldn't wait! I put Anne of Avonlea on hold, and borrowed The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, Volume 1 to hold me over until Anne was available.

I must say that the stories were dramatized very well. I remember in one of the four stories these two people were talking, and you heard thunder in the background- very faint, believable, and right sounding. Then you could hear rain. It sounded so real, I checked to be sure it wasn't raining outside ;)

The mysteries were only about half an hour long each, and were 'sophisticated'. I mean, I wasn't able to figure everything out like I could when reading the Boxcar Children mysteries. The format was different too... Sherlock solved the various mysteries, and then talked with people afterward about how he figured it out. It was confusing for the first mystery, but then I was ready for this format when listening to the other three stories.

No comments: