Friday, September 18, 2009

A Meme about Me

Thanks to Library Hospital for the meme!
I'm supposed to answer in five words or less, but I doubt that will happen. I enjoy explaining ;)

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No, I usually am too caught up in the story to eat anything. I have a 'how can you eat at a time like this?!?!?' mentality for the characters at times...

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
If I own the book, as of late, I write in them. Underlining, boxing, circling things I don't understand, writing notes to myself... if I don't own it, I usually forget to mark them at all, not having the pencil and paper immediately in front of me...

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?Bookmarks, post-its, tissues even!Laying the book flat open?
Either a bookmark (rare... I can never seem to find any), a scrap of paper, or a dog ear. I try not to dog ear if I don't own the book.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
Both. Until this summer I had not as much as read titles of non-fiction books for a long time, but that has changed- for the better.

Hard copy or Audio Books?
Undecided. I like actually reading what is happening, but I like to be able to 'read' while working, so it depends on the situation. If I had to pick, I'd probably just stall as long as I could ;)

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
Chapers are annoying things. You'd think that they would be a stoping place, but authors caught on to this and leave cliff hangers at the end of chapters so that it becomes increasingly difficult to put down a book at the begining of a chapter. I am guilty of this too. Therefore I prefer to stop in the middle of a chapter, or not at all.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
Not usually. I either don't look it up at all and use context information to help me, or look it up later when it is still bugging me. Example? I'm reading 'The Great Divorce' by Lewis, and I didn't know what a 'queue' was, but I just kept reading and eventually found out its like a bus stop thing...

What are you currently reading?
'The Great Divorce' by C. S. Lewis and
The Deadliest Monster' y J. F. Baldwin

What is the last book you bought?
I bought a couple at once off Amazon:
Eat This Book by Eugene H. Peterson and
How to Read Slowly by James W. Sire
both are non-fiction

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
I usually read one of a type at a time, but there are exceptions. By 'type' I mean fiction and non-fiction.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
I don't mind a series if I know before I start that it IS in fact a series. I don't enjoy being surprised at the end when its not really THE END.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
Do Hard Things by the Harris'
I am planning a reread myself shortly...

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
Uh, by their size. the larger sized ones are at the bottom of the pile, and the smallest sized ones are at the top.

If this looks interesting to you, post this yourself and leave a comment here saying you did, linking to it, so I can read your answers!

No comments: