Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Eyes Like Stars~ Day 2

And the curtain goes up on day two of the 'Eyes Like Stars' tour.
I promised an interview for today, did I not? So, without further to do, grab some popcorn and enjoy the show!
Marie: How long did it take you to write 'Eyes Like Stars' from the first glimmer of an idea to the last draft?

Lisa: I started in July of 2006 and finished the first draft three months later. Then it was editing and acquiring my agent (March, 2007) submitting the novel (May, 2007) and then three editing passes, galleys, page proofs, the Advance Review Copies, and now the final hardcover. So three years, start to finish!

Marie: Are any of the characters in your book based off people you know?

Lisa: The fairies are an ombination of my four-year-old and the wild conversations I have with my friends on the phone. And Bertie has some of my foibles and passions (like coffee.) The rest of the characters tromped in, already in costume and ready to go, just like they would at an audition.


Maire: Do you listen to music as you write? Why or why not?

Lisa: Not very often... I find lyrics very distracting, so if I listen to music, it's usually instrumental only. And I had "The Assassin's Tango" from the Mr. & Mrs. Smith soundtrack on repeat as I choreographed the Tango scene in the Properties Department.
Marie: Why did you give the main character, Bertie, the flaws that she has?
Lisa: Flaws are usually the flip-side of a character's strengths, so Bertie is persistent to the point of being pushy, tenacious until she ends up being obstinate about certain things. With the theatrical setting, I felt it was important for her to be a passionate character, so her reactions have extreme highs and lows, with lots of drama (sometimes self-inflicted.)
Marie: The ending of 'Eyes Like Stars' leaves plenty of room for a sequel, is there any information on that that you can share?
Lisa: I'm just completing a set of revisions on the second book, Perchance To Dream, which will be out in the Fall of 2010. Then the third (and last) book will be out in 2011.
Marie: Please explain the dedication in your book that says: "For my mother, who left a half-crimped pie crust on the kitchen counter to take me to my first audition."
Lisa: I was seven years old, in the kitchen with my mom, who was baking a pie for some office function. The phone rang, and it was another parent from my school who also directed the local community college musicals... he was holding auditions for South Pacific and needed more kids for the chorus. I, of course, got skippity-excited over the idea, and my mom left the pie crust sitting on the counter to toss me in the car and drive me down to the theater. I felt that moment summed up our relationship really well... my mom has shown me nothing but love and encouragement and support my entire life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful interview. Thanks to both of you!

Nicole said...

Thanks, Sally. And thank you too, Lisa!