Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Shadow Children by Margaret Peterson Haddix

I read the first book when I was probably about 10 years old. I hadn't known there were more until this semester when my roommate asked me if I'd ever read them. It's taken me all semester to finally read all of them, even though they are pretty quick reads.

And then, last night I started thinking about the third children. What did/do I think of them? Sure, they end up saving everything, but do I think it was right of the population police to make having more than two children illegal?

The country had been going through a famine- they didn't have enough food. That was the reason behind the ban. They were trying to make sure that all the people who were already alive would have enough food to stay that way. And, honestly, I'm not sure what I think. Part of me thinks it's not their place to set a limit on the number of children a couple could have, but if people had followed the law, would they have had less problems? But then again, there were other things the population police could have done. They could have rationed out the food by family, and said 'you can have as many kids as you want, but there is only enough food for you to have X amount'. I don't know. Maybe that wouldn't have worked either.

But I know for sure I don't like how the population police acted. Whenever they found someone who was a third child, they killed them. And they were cruel. And they didn't exactly tell the truth about how much food there was. They took a problem and made it worse. All 'cus they wanted to stay in power.

What do you think?

No comments: