Friday, August 15, 2008

Beauty


I loved this book. I don't know how many times I have said I loved a book, but I really mean it this time. The only picture in the book is the cover art, yet there were times where I could see what was happening. Not all the time, but a good majority of it.

Beauty is a retelling of 'Beauty and the Beast'. The story line itself is the same. While reading, I was asked why I was reading it if I already knew how it ended. The answer is simple. A) I love reading, so why not read it? B) Besides, Robin paints a new light on everything. Reasons for why they lived where they did, why beauty went home after months of living with the Beast... the feelings were strong.

I have heard that books tasted good. No, people did not rip out pages and eat them, but the words were well chose, the sentences well structured, the characters were not flat, but had substance... I believe Beauty is a desert... maybe even chocolate.


(stop by on monday for the 'Jimmy's Stars' tour)

4 comments:

Noël De Vries said...

So glad you liked it, Marie. Beauty is without a doubt her best work ever (and her first! can you believe that?).

Who asked why you were reading it when you already knew how it would end? :) Did you ask them why they were living life when they already knew how it was going to end? ;)

Noël De Vries said...

haha, saw this at ; and thought of you...

"Books are chocolate for the soul. They don’t make one fat. One need not brush one’s teeth after reading. They are quiet. One can bring them anywhere–no passport required. Books have only one downfall: even the fattest book has a last page, and then one needs a new one again.”

~Antonie Schneider

Nicole said...

I thought that there was a little much detail- how things looked, how people felt... that tells you it is her first... but I enjoyed it all the more because of that (maybe b/c I do that in my story too...) : )

I like the quote, I will have to put it up somewhere in my room... if there is any space... : )

Nicole said...

oh... it was my dad who asked why I was reading Beauty... he also wonders why we buy movies- 'do you think something is going to change when you watch it again???" :P