Friday, November 06, 2009

Breaking Habits


One of my worst habits right now is Facebook. Especially Farmville. So, I decided to do something about it. I mean, intention is nothing if it is not accompanied by action, so rather than 'meaning' to spend less time on facebook and more time on more important things amounts to nothing no matter how hard I think about it until I actually take a step and DO something.

So what did I do? I forbid myself to spend any time on facebook for a week. Harsh? Nah.

I was a little surprised at how easy it was... stunned that such a strong habit wasn't harder to break... but it was quite simple, and I'm glad.

The only problem: I keep finding more to distract myself from these 'important things' even when I do not have facebook to aid in the diversion.

But I have succeeded in accomplishing quite a bit... I've written a few book reviews out, I've read almost an entire book, I've memorized more of Psalm 139, I've mannaged to keep a LITTLE more organized, I've edited a little more of my story, I've found a lot of pictures to put as my iTunes covers, I've drawn a couple pictures based of real ones... the list goes on a little more even.

My fear is that once I allow myself on facebook again, I'll go right back to indulging in it. But I think I'll be okay, I've learned my lesson. Hopefully, anyway.

4 comments:

Noël De Vries said...

Good for you! :)

Who needs fb?

Maggie DeVries said...

I do...

Sarah M. said...

I ended up removing a lot of the applications on my FB page because it was distracting from what I wanted FB to be for me. Hope it's been a good week.

Nicole said...

Noel: thanks ^_^

Maggie: do you need a week off facebook? :)

S. Mehrens: REMOVED? I dont know if I could get rid of farmville... haha, the application has NO point, but it can sorta be fun... maybe the 'next thing' I do will be no farmville for a month or something. :)