Tuesday, March 09, 2010

4 days, 4 books, 1 author:

I was home over spring break this past week, and I was able to spend a lot of time reading. My younger sisters got me to read four of Ally Carter's books:I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You; Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy; Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover; and Heist Society.

The first three (I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You; Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy; and Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover) are part of a series. The fourth comes out later this year. In these stories, Cammie Morgan is a spy and she goes to a spy school: Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. The first is mostly boy drama, the second has more spy-ish-ness but still boy drama, and the third has even more spy-ish-ness and less boy drama. The only thing I didn't 'get' was that the girls are supposed to be 15, but overall I kept getting the impression they were 11 or 12.

Heist Society had the opposite problem: the 15 year old main character felt older than the age Ally Carter gave her. Heist Society is not about spies- it is about thieves. A whole family of thieves. Except Kat. Kat does not like the legacy her family is leaving, so she decides to go to boarding school and leave thieving behind her. One day, however, Hale tells Kat that her father's life is being threatened because of some paintings he is accused of stealing. That he claims he did not steal. Kat wants to keep her father and everyone she loves safe; but will she, even if that means going back to her old way of life?

No comments: