Friday, April 17, 2009

The Solution

Finally getting back to my vocabulary... This one is actually funny in a way, because there is a toddler using words much to big for her to have learned :) and I'm pretty sure I misused many words.

The mother looked at her daughter with askance, not sure how the child should be punished.

"Please, mother, attenuate my punishment, be benign. Do not cavil me because I am a charlatan person. It was just a white lie..."

"Daughter, we must decimate your lying for it is already becoming a habit. There must be a foible, something that will make you forgo lying. Yet for some reason you seem fraught with them..." She inured her jaw, trying to think of some solution, and then her face became luminous.

"I have come up with a solution," she told her toddler. "From now on your words must be obsequious to the truth." She was not obtuse with this command, but remained firm. Her foot oscillated while she waited for her daughter''s response.

"I am penitent, mother. I agree with you peremptory rule, it is not something one can rebuff... but it seems something is missing from it..." the child seemed confused.

"Well," her mother thought carefully, trying to think of a way to enforce this rule. "I will reconnoiter with your teachers about your bad habit, and if, when I speak with them every so often, I find you have not made a shambles of this but continue to tell the truth, you will be rewarded with sporadic prizes."

3 comments:

Maggie DeVries said...

What an intelligent conversation...surprisingly between mother and toddler, too

Noël De Vries said...

So ... do your parents reconnioter with your teachers, too?

:)

Sorry, ever the nit-picker, Marie ... but you can just say "looked at her daughter askance." Don't have to say "with." And "charlatan person" is redundant. And lying IS her foible... I believe.

Hey, I'm just trying to help your grade! ;)

Nicole said...

hehe... like I said at the begining... I have no idea how to use a lot of these words... thanks for the pointers :)