I would use it every once in a while, and I would notice a red, itchy patch on my hands. But it wasn't too irritating, and I wasn't certain they were connected, so I ignored it. After applying it, I would absently scratch the red spot, too busy to take any real notice.
Finally I read the ingredients. And what do you know? Buried in the list of sweet smells, nourishing aloe juices and other goodies was some sort of hydrated milk protein.
And I'm allergic to milk. No wonder I had red, itchy spots.
I did not apply it again once I realized what it really was: poison to me.
Thankfully, there was an easy solution: I got rid of the poisonous lotion (it has a happy new home with my mom - who is NOT allergic to milk)
Sins tend to sneak up on me the same way.
Maybe it was a gift- a good intentioned gift. Maybe it was just packaged nicely.
Maybe I'm too busy to notice what happening.
Maybe I decide it can't be that bad-- after all, there's only a little; it's not all poisonous.
But sooner or later the poisonous qualities show through. The side-effects.
Once you recognize the toxicity it has towards your relationship with God and others, don't foolishly keep living that way.
Get rid of the poison, whatever form it takes.
Even if you're the only one tossing it.
Even if it's okay for others to keep it.
Are YOU going to get rid of the 'poisonous lotion', or keep applying it?