Friday, July 29, 2011

thrift store + library =

I've got a whole new collection of books this week. From both the library and the thrift store, though the ones from the library are only borrowed, not bought.

Library
Modern Homestead by Renee Wilkinson (nonfic)
-It looked interesting, and I think there are things in it that I would like to add into my latest writing project. I've started it, and I'm super excited

The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages (fic)
-I've seen it on the shelves of many libraries, and it always catches my eye. The Greek writing on the cover intrigues me. I finally picked it up, and will read it during vacation.

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (fic)
-its the sequel to Inkheart, which I read a while ago. I've been meaning to pick up the massive second installment for some time, and I finally did.

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke (fic)
-the third book in the Inkheart series. I decided to go all in.

The Thief Lord (fic)
-I read this several years ago with my old library's Parent Child Book Club, and I've been meaning to reread it for quite some time because I think I will appreciate it more this read. As a side note, when I brought these books home my sister and I were talking, and she pointed out that they were by the same author- something I hadn't noticed at all! So, I look forward to the totally different types of book styles, read within a week of each other.

Thrift Store
Another sister and I made a beeline for the book section of our thrift store the other day, and we looked through the more recently published books, not finding anything either of us was interested in. Its always a gamble. Then, we moved on to the Shakespeares and classics. For a while, I thought I would be leaving empty handed, and then book titles started jumping out at me. I came home with:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (fic)
- I actually don't know much about the story, but many people have been astonished that I have not yet read this book, so I picked it up as soon as I saw it

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (fic)
- A Jane Austen- you can't go wrong

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (fic)
- I know a little about the story line, but not much. Again, I've heard the characters are wonderfully written, and I am excited to read it for myself.

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
- Another classic that I have wanted to read, but never have. Once, I bought a copy of it cheap somewhere, only to get home and realize its an abridged version. I don't like reading those, because you cannot really say you've read the book. So, that one has sat on my shelf untouched, but this more recent find will soon be read.

No comments: