Monday, March 23, 2009

Bookshelf Meme

My bookshelf:



Tell me about the book that has been on your shelf the longest.

hmm... I see more than one way to answer this question, so I will answer it both ways.

The books that I remember having for the longest time would be the 'T.C.D.C.' series. I believe the first book I got from this series was book 1, 'the mystery of the white elephant'. For about four years after that first book I had collected the rest in the series. I now have all of the TCDC books, andthree or four of the ten commandment ones (the same kids, just smaller books and from when the cousins were younger). I remember getting very excited every time a pckage from the bookstore came to our house and spending the rest of the day pooring over the "new" book.


On the other hand, the question could be asking what book has been waiting to be read the longest. I'm not really sure about that one. I grew up with a 'mini library' in the basement, with a bunch of books I have yet to read. Books like 'the princess and the pelican', 'the summer of the swans', 'prairie dog town', and 'maury had a little lamb.' I don't know much about each of them, excetp that I've tried reading each of them, but never got far.


Tell me about a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (i.e. a person, a place, a time, etc.)...


This is a hard one. I don't usually think of people, places, or times while reading... I'll say this, sometimes when I listen to a book, I can remember where I was when I read it. For example, a couple years ago on the way to the doctor we listened to Oliver Twist; now every time we go to the doctor I remember random bits and pieces from Oliver Twist.




Also, lately, by youngest sister has reminded me of Benny, from the Boxcar Children. Just as Benny always did, my sister has been declaring her hunger at the most random times.

Tell me about a book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used book store, prize, etc.)...

There is only one book I could possibly talk about here. It is a childrens book. A book for a VERY YOUNG child. It is one of the first books I remember reading. It is square, about 8 inches long and 8 inches wide. The pictures are colorful and bright. The plastic covering is scratched a bit, and the blue cover underneath is stained and really looks old. It is called 'too many books'. I got it for Chirstmas a couple years ago from my parents. They got it for me because it was the book that got me reading more books so that I could be like Maralou... lots of childhood memories...


side note: apperantly, this book was hard to get ahold of beacuse it is out of print :( ...I cant even find a picture of the cover anywhere on the internet!

Tell me about the most recent addition to your shelves...


I won this copy of 'Farworld' in a contest a bit ago, and I am waiting to read it. I am really excited about reading it, but I have yet to pick it up. Its not like I'm avoiding it or anything, I just know that if I start reading it now I will never finish 'the prince and the pauper'.



Tell me about a book that has been with you to the most places...

The book that has been with me the most places is my Bible. It has a black, leather-looking bendable cover- meaning its not hard- and the pages have a shimmery gold edge to them. The pages are very thin and 'crinkly'. It has a black ribbon attached for a bookmark, and it must have clear nail polish on it or something because it is still in tact and has not frayed.


The book that went the farthest with me would be 'jimmy's stars'... I took it with when I went on a missions trip to Arizona. The pages of this book are thicker, and a little 'rough' if you really think about it.

Also, I took 'a curse dark as gold', 'half magic' and 'the city of ember' to Texas.


Tell me about a bonus book that doesn't fit any of the above questions...

I have loved c.s. Lewis' chronicles of narnia for just about as long as I can remember. One year for Christmas I got a giant hardcover book with all 7 chronicles in it. The pages of this book are thick and glossy and shiny. The text is in two columns, and there are small pictures on every page. I took the paper cover jacket off and ticky-tacked it to my wall partly because I wanted a Narnian map on my wall and partly because it got annoying when I was trying to read. There is also a long red ribbon attached to the book as a bookmark- the end is frayed.


The Rules:

1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!

2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.

3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.

4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water...

5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.


I was tagged by Sarah M. over at 'a library is a hospital for the mind'(about two and a half months ago... ), and now I tag:





3 comments:

Noël De Vries said...

Ah, Too Many Books ... I remember that, when your mom was talking about how she couldn't find a copy anywhere, and I was like, have you tried Alibris, and wala, there were a dozen copies! Thus your amazing Christmas was all due to your amazing librarian cousin ... not to brag or anything. haha

And I totally remember your infatuation with the TCDC. I mean, hello, why are we The Cousin Drama Club?!?!? :)

Holly said...

TCDC! I thought I was the only one who had heard of those books! :D

Tag noted. This one looks fun.

Maggie DeVries said...

I finished! Wow that took me a while. Check it out:

http://popbangboom.blogspot.com/2009/03/bookshelf-meme.html

And I used to love those books too! Remember when we were trying to put a number for the first "T" ? Like the Thirteen Cousins Drama Club. But then it became Fourteen...